Defend Education – for a campaigning union.
I have been teaching at the college of North East London since 1993, first as an HPL and from 1996 as a permanent lecturer. I have been branch secretary at CONEL since 2008, and chair of London Region UCU (FE) for 2 years. I am in UCU Left.
I want to contribute to the development of our union as a campaigning organisation that connects the fight for jobs, pay and employment rights with the fight for inclusive, free, progressive, high-quality education for all.
I have led our branch in tough and successful battles against compulsory redundancies, for equal treatment for HPLs, for implementation of the 8 point pay scale, against punitive observation regimes and against cuts in education.
As chair of London Region, I have worked for collaboration between colleges across the capital against increasingly aggressive managements.
If you elect me I intend to:
- Listen to, and be accountable to, members on the ground through regular written reports and attendance at regional meetings and activities
- Reach out to support and help build weaker branches
- Foster greater collaboration between branches through existing regional structures.
- Encourage the active participation of women and hourly-paid staff in the union
- Work to secure equal rights for hourly-paid staff
- Work to reclaim further education from the bean-counters in control who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
In the UK-elected members (FE) election please vote: Richard McEwan 1 Umit Yildiz 2 Jenny Sutton 3 Steve Boyce 4
I also urge you to vote for Mark Campbell for General Secretary and Angie McConnell for Vice- President (FE)
Leaflet downloads are available from here.
STV Voting system
To maximise votes for progressive candidates we ask you to do the following:
Please use your votes to first endorse all UCU Left candidates and only after that use lower preferences for other progressive candidates in each relevant list;
Give your highest preferences in the UK-Elected list to UCU Left candidate(s) from your region