Save Lifelong Learning Campaign
Following the success of the London region lobby of parliament on Wednesday 18th March which several hundred staff and students attended, the campaign against the cuts continues to win widespread support.
ALL branches are called on to
* publicise the London Region demonstration on Wednesday 25th March at 6pm, flyer here
* actively support ‘love FE day’ next Thursday 26 March which aims to celebrate lifelong learning and calls for a STOP to the potentially devastating proposed cuts to further education (FE). UCU and campaign partners ask you to mark the day by highlighting the importance of FE and what all of our communities stand to lose if these cuts go ahead.
• Encourage all members to sign and circulate the petition to stop the cuts (nearly 20,000 people have signed already)
• Ask members to take a photo with the UCU poster (or create your very own!) and please send to email@example.com and tweet using #loveFE
• Tell us why you Love FE – photos and messages will be displayed on the joint campaign website here.
• Make contact with your local general election candidates about the funding cuts using our online tool
• Already 40 MPs have signed an Early Day Motion (EDM) calling to stop the cuts. Has YOUR MP signed yet?
• Download and circulate 10 Point Charter for FE to all members for the future of further and adult education and our briefing on the cuts.
• Please tweet using #loveFE tag and let us know about any other activities you have planned.
Thousands of members have written on the petition describing how adult education transforms and enriches our lives. These cuts could be a deathblow to FE and we need to build a groundswell of opposition to force the coalition, the devolved governments and whoever is in Westminster after 7 May, to think again.
Please support the London demonstration on Wednesday 25th March at 6pm and the ‘love FE day’ on Thursday 26 March.