Defend education from the Cradle to the Grave
- Defend pay and conditions.
- Close the gender pay gap and end casualization.
- Solidarity with striking teachers and lecturers.
- Join the pickets and join the marches.
Solidarity with striking teachers and lecturers.
The National Union of Teachers is taking national strike action to oppose forced academies, funding cuts and to defend pay and conditions.
This strike comes at a critical time in the fallout out from the EU referendum with the government in disarray and millions of people looking for an alternative to austerity. We have to say it’s not migrants who are to blame for attacks on our education system it is the policy of austerity and cuts that is wrecking education.
UCU branches striking
20 University branches will also be taking action alongside the NUT in defence of pay, to close the gender pay gap and casualisation. 51 universities struck last week. With 32 set to strike this week as part of rolling action throughout the summer.
They will be taking action against the backdrop of the HE White Paper that could lead to the entry of for profit’s and private providers into the sector.
There will be rallies and marches across the country.
There are marches and rallies in London, Durham, Manchester, Liverpool, Wirral, Lancaster, Leeds, Wakefield, Nottingham, Sheffield, Calderdale, Bradford, Birmingham, Leicester and Leicestershire, Cambridgeshire, Chelmsford, Ipswich, Northampton, Norwich, Brighton, Canterbury, Eastbourne, Hastings, Isle of Wight, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Dorset, Southampton, Bristol, Cornwall, Devon, Plymouth, & Torbay.
Link to all rallies and marches around the country
London will be a focus for the day of action with a march and rally on Parliament.
There will be a UCU bloc on the NUT demonstration assembling at 11am at Portland Place
UCU members across London striking on the 5 July:
- University College London
- Institute Of Education
- Middlesex University
- London Met University – where 400 more jobs are threatened with cuts and UCU reps Mark Campbell and David Hardman are being targeted.
- City University
- London South Bank University
- Ealing, Hammersmith and West London College will also be striking in defence of jobs and education at the college and to call for guarantees there will be no compulsory redundancies.
What you can do to support the action:
- Take a selfie photo in support of striking teachers and lecturers.
- Send photos and messages of support to UCU’s Wall of support email@example.com and #fairpayinHE
- Please send strike reports to UCU left.
- Join pickets and marches near you.
- Please bring banners.
We need more united action in the autumn to defend education from the cradle to grave and win our pay campaigns.
Good luck to all those branches striking!