Last week, UCU congress passed the motion below by an overwhelming majority in direct opposition to UKIP, and sounding a warning about the rise of the far right in Europe.
UKIP successes – National Executive Committee
- UKIP’s Euro-election winning 27.5 percent vote, and 160 council seats
- all the main political parties have responded by pandering to UKIP’s anti-immigrant propaganda
- other European far-right successes: the French Front National win and Greek Golden Dawn Nazis winning 9.5 percent.
- UKIP is a racist party
- anti-immigrant racism must have no place in colleges and universities
- UCU must campaign against any of the main political parties’ attempts to bend to UKIP’s racist populism
- government, bankers and big business are responsible for low pay, privatisation, unemployment and lack of workers’ rights, not immigrants.
- UAF’s 14 June conference
- the lobby of UKIP’s 27 September conference, and aday of action on June 1st
- initiatives called by the broadly-based Stand Up to UKIP organisation
- production of a UCU poster on immigration celebrating multiculturalism and diversity and briefings systematically rebutting UKIP policies.